Welcome to the website of the Department of Surgery of the Indiana University School of Medicine. Whether you are a prospective resident, patient or a friend, I am very pleased that you have an interest in our department and our clinical, research and educational programs. This website should provide you with important information about these programs and, most importantly, the people behind them.
I am proud to report that the department is recognized for excellence in each aspect of our mission:
Our faculty provides high-quality surgical care at seven Indianapolis-area hospitals. We play an important clinical leadership role in:
- The IU Simon Cancer Center, the only National Cancer Institute-designated hospital in the state of Indiana
- IU Health, which is recognized amongst the top hospitals in America by US News and World Report in multiple categories, including gastroenterology, oncology and pediatrics
- One of the largest and erudite solid organ transplant programs in the United States
- A Bariatric Center of Excellence
- Two Level 1 Trauma Centers
The department has a long tradition of training the next generation of talented, compassionate surgeons. Indiana University medical students and surgical residents and fellows participate actively in the clinical opportunities at all clinical sites with which the department is affiliated.
Our department has shown a steady increase in research productivity over the last several years, represented by national presentations, peer review publications and increased extramural funding. Our research-both at the bench and the bedside-is making a difference to patients and their families.
In closing, I thank you for your interest in our department.
Gary L. Dunnington, MD
Jay L Grosfeld Professor and Chair of Surgery