A. George Akingba, MD, PhD
Specialty: Vascular Surgery
Residency: Inova Fairfax Hospital
Fellowship: Wayne State University - Detroit Medical Center
I have a passionate desire to solve clinical problems with engineering research tools. My clinical area of expertise is vascular surgery and my research area of expertise is in biomedical engineering (particularly bioinstrumentation). Within bioinstrumentation I sub-specialized in bioMEMS with my PhD dissertation on nanoelectrodes. I have patents on bioMEMS devices and other larger medical devices. I caught the research bug as a post-doctoral fellow at Johns Hopkins Hospital while working for Dr. Arthur Burnett. He mentored me on my first publication and inspired me to become a surgeon-scientist. I have always been very interested in physics and engineering and when a research opportunity became available after my second resident-year in general surgery, I took it to obtain more knowledge and experience in the field of biomedical engineering. During my graduate research experience I carried out all the steps involved in medical device research and development, which included designing, analyzing, fabricating, packaging, and testing micro- and nanofabricated devices. This training has enhanced my research capabilities of expanding the methods we use to obtain clinical information and deliver minimally invasive therapies. I then went on to complete my clinical training and start a career in academic vascular surgery. My current academic research takes advantage of my interdisciplinary skills to integrate aspects of cardiovascular biology, surgery and engineering technology into viable clinical diagnostic and/or therapeutic solutions. Because of my knowledge and experience in translational research I am uniquely qualified to be an investigator in clinically significant medical device research and translational biomedical engineering research.
IU Health Physicians
IU Health Methodist/IU Health University
IU Health North
IU Health Saxony
IU Health West
Eskenazi Hospital Surgery Clinic
720 Eskenazi Ave.
Indianapolis, IN 46202
IU Health Multi-Specialty Clinic
1801 N. Senate Blvd., Ste 4040
Indianapolis, IN 46202
IU Health Cardiovascular Surgeons
11725 N. Illinois St., Ste 275
Carmel, IN 46032
Clinical Research Interests: Carotid Disease/ Aneurysm Surgery / Peripheral Artery Occlusive Disease / Dialysis Access / Endovascular Therapy
Basic Research Interests: Novel techniques in monitoring/controlling blood flow using implantable devices based on MEMS (Micro-ElectroMechanical Systems) technology
- Epstein, J., Walsh, P., Akingba, A. George, Carter, H. (1999). The significance or Prior Negative Needle Biopsies in Men Subsequently diagnosed with Prostate Cancer. Journal of Urology, Nov. 1999. 162 (5): 1649-52
- Akingba, A. George., Burnett A L. Endothelial nitric oxide synthase protein expression, localization, and activity in the penis of the alloxan-induced diabetic rat. Molecular Urology (2001 Winter), 5(4), 189-97
- Akingba A. George, Wang D, Peng-Sheng Chen, Neves H, Montemagno C. Application of nanoelectrodes in recording biopotentials. [(Conference) Paper] 2003 Third IEEE (Conference) on Nanotechnology. IEEE-NANO 2003. Proceedings (Cat. No.03TH8700). IEEE. Part vol. 2, 2003, pp.870-4 vol. 2. Piscataway, NJ, USA
- Byung-Chun Jung, Amish S, Dave, Alex Y. Tan, Ghassan Gholmieh, Shengmei Zhou, David C. Wang, A. George Akingba, Gregory A. Fishbein, Carlo Montemagno, Shien-Fong Lin, Lan S. Chen, Peng-Sheng Chen. Circadian Variations of Stellate Ganglion Nerve Activity in Ambulatory Dogs. Heart Rhythm. 2006 Jan;3(1):78-85
- Akingba A. George, Mangalmurti CS, Mukherjee D. Surgical Management of Chronic Mesenteric Venous Thrombosis: a Case Report. Vasc Endovascular Surg. 2006 Mar-Apr;40(2):157-60 [Service]
- Ziegler MA, Distasi MR, Bills RG, Miller SJ, Alloosh M, Murphy MP, George Akingba, Sturek M, Dalsing MC, Unthank JL. Marvels, mysteries, and misconceptions of vascular compensation to peripheral artery occlusion. Microcirculation. 2010 Jan;17(1):3-20
- Bojalian MO, Akingba AG, Andersen JC, Swerdlow PS, Bove PG, Brown OW, Rubin JR. Sticky Platelet Syndrome: An Unusual Presentation of Arterial Ischemia. Ann Vasc Surg. 2010 Jul;24(5):691.e1-6. [Service]
- Matos JM, Fajardo A, Dalsing MC, Motaganahalli R, Akingba AG, Murphy M. Evidence for nonoperative management of acute limb ischemia in the infant. Journal of Vascular Surgery, 2011 November 29. [Service]
- Jacob M, Li Y-T, Akingba AG, Wachs J. Gestonurse: A robotic surgical nurse for handling surgical instruments in the operating room. Journal of Robotic Surgery (Online publication December 2011).
- Mahmood,A.;Peng-Sheng Chen: Akingba, A.G. Sensors,2011 IEEE (Conference) Digital Object Identifier: 10.1109/ICSENS.2011.6127022. Nanoelectrode arrays for measuring sympathetic nervous activity. Publication Year: 2011, Page(s): 1241-1244
- A Cyber-Physical Management System for Delivering and Monitoring Surgical Instruments in the OR. Li YT, Jacob M, Akingba AG, Wachs JP. Surg Innov. 2012 Oct 4. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 23037804 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher] Related citations
- Wireless measurement of Sympathetic nervous activity using planar nanoelectrode arrays Mahmood, A.; Peng-Sheng Chen; Akingba, A.G. Sensors, 2012 IEEE (Conference), Publication Year: 2012, Page(s): 1-4.)
- A lumen sizing workhorse guidewire for peripheral vasculature: Two functions in one device. Svendsen MC, Choy JS, Ebner A, Bigelow B, Sinha A, Moussa I, Akingba, George A, Combs B, Kassab GS. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2013 Apr 16. doi: 10.1002/ccd.24950. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 23592431 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher] Related citations
- Low-level vagus nerve stimulation upregulates small conductance calcium-activated potassium channels in the stellate ganglion. Shen MJ, Hao-Che Chang X, Park HW, George Akingba A, Chang PC, Zheng Zhang X, Lin SF, Shen C, Chen LS, Chen Z, Fishbein MC, Chiamvimonvat N, Chen PS. Heart Rhythm. 2013 Jan 26. doi:pii: S1547-5271(13)00055-6. 10.1016/j.hrthm.2013.01.029. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 23357541 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher] Related citations.
- Surgeons use hand gestures and/or voice commands without interrupting the natural flow of a procedure. Mithun George Jacob, Yu-Ting Li, George A. Akingba, and Juan P. Wachs. Communications of the ACM, May 2013, Vol.56, No.5, page 68.
- "Conductance Sizing Balloon for Measurement of Peripheral Artery Minimal Stent Area," Manuscript Number JVS-D-13-00379R1 has been accepted for publication in the Journal of Vascular Surgery. Mark C. Svendsen, PhDa, A. George Akingba, MDb, Anjan K. Sinha, MDc, Brooke Chattin, BSa, Amelia Turner, BSa, Margaret Brass, BSa, Deepak L. Bhatt, MDd, and Ghassan S. Kassaba,b,e
- Management of Vascular Trauma from Dog Bites. Reference: YMVA6964, accepted for publication in the Journal of Vascular Surgery. Journal title: Journal of Vascular Surgery. A. George Akingba MD, PhD,1,2 Eric A. Robinson,2 Andrea L Jester MD,1 Brian M Rapp MD,1 Anthony Tsai MD,1 Raghu L Motaganahalli MD,1 Michael C Dalsing MD,1 Michael P Murphy MD
- Managing Recurrent Carotid Artery Disease with Redo Carotid Endarterectomy: a 10-year Retrospective Case Series. Ms. Ref. No.: AVS-D-13-00117R2. Accepted for publication in Annals of Vascular Surgery A. George Akingba, MD, PhD; Michael Bojalian, MD; Changyu Shen, PhD; Jeffrey Rubin, MD