Shekhar A. Kubal, MD, PhD
Assistant Professor of Surgery
Surgical Director of Adult Liver Transplantation
Director, Abdominal Transplant Fellowship
Specialty: Transplant Surgery - Liver, Intestinal and Multivisceral Transplantaiton
Residency: Sir J.J. Group of Hospitals, Mumbai University, Mumbai, India (General Surgery)
Fellowship: Indiana University School of Medicine (Transplant Surgery)
IU Medical Group
IU Health Methodist/IU Health University
IU Health Transplant
550 N. University Blvd., Ste 4601
Indianapolis, IN 46202
Clinical Interests: Adult and pediatric liver transplantation, adult and pediatric intestine/ multivisceral transplantation, hepatobiliary surgery, hepatocellular carcinoma
Clincal Research Interests: Donor specific antibodies in liver and intestine transplantation, DCD liver transplantation, microflora in intestine transplantation, tolerance, renal failure in non-renal transplantation
- CA Kubal, RS Mangus, RM Vianna, A Lobashevsky, MA Mujtaba, N Higgins, T Beduschi, JA Fridell, AJ Tector The Impact of Positive Flow Cytometry Crossmatch on Outcomes of Intestinal/ Multivisceral Transplantation: Role Anti-IL2 Receptor Antibody Transplantation (Epub ahead of print)
- Mangus RS, Tector AJ, Kubal CA, Fridell JA, Vianna RM. Multivisceral transplantation: expanding indications and improving outcomes. J Gastrointest Surg. 2013 Jan;17(1):179-87.
- Mangus RS, Kubal CA, Tector AJ, Fridell JA, Klingler K, Vianna RM. Closure of the abdominal wall with acellular dermal allograft in intestinal transplantation. Am J Transplant. 2012 Dec;12 Suppl 4:S55-9.
- Vianna RM, Mangus RS, Kubal C, Fridell JA, Beduschi T, Tector AJ. Multivisceral transplantation for diffuse portomesenteric thrombosis. Ann Surg. 2012 Jun;255(6):1144-50.
- Kubal C, Cockwell P, Gunson B, Jesky M, Hanvesakul R, Dronavalli V, Bonser R, Neil D (2011) Chronic Kidney Disease after Non-Renal Solid Organ Transplantation: A Histological Assessment and Utility of CADI Scoring. in press, Transplantation 2012 Feb 27;93(4):406-11.
- Hanvesakul R, Kubal C, Moore J, Neil D, Cook M, Ball S, Briggs D, Moss P, Cockwell P. KIR and HLA-C Interactions Promote Differential Dendritic Cell Maturation and Is a Major Determinant of hraft Failure following Kidney Transplantation PLoS One. 2011;6(8):e23631. Epub 2011 Aug 31.
- S Kubal, J A. Powelson, T. E. Taber, M. L. Goble, J. A. Fridell. Simultaneous pancreas and kidney transplantation with concurrent allograft nephrectomy for recipients with prior renal transplants lost to BK nephropathy Transplantation Proceedings, 2010; 42(6):2009-10.
- Vianna R, Kubal C, Mangus R, Fridell J, Tector J. Intestinal and multivisceral transplantation at Indiana University: 6 years' experience with 100 cases. Clinical Transplantation, 2009; 219-28.
- C Kubal, R Harris, R Waring, K Greatz, N Inston, A Hamsho, S Mellor, A Ready; M World. Activity of mitochondrial complexes in donor renal grafts, cold ischaemia time and recovery of graft function. Transplantation, 2009; 87(7):1037-9.
- C Kubal, K Sheth, B Nadal, M Galinanes. Bone marrow cells have potent anti-ischemic effect against myocardial cell death in man. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, 2006; 132(5): 1112 – 1118.
- C Kubal, A Srinivasan, A Grayson, B Fabri, J Chalmers. Effect of risk adjusted diabetes on mortality and morbidity following coronary artery bypass surgery. Annals of Thoracic Surgery, 2005; 79(5): 1570-6
- C Kubal, R Cacciola, P Riley, A Ready. Internal iliac artery pseudoaneurysm following renal transplant biopsy: successfully treated with percutaneous embolization and thrombosis. Transplant Proceedings, 2007; 39 (5):1676-8.
- K Ang, D Chin, F Leyva, P Foley, C Kubal, S Chalil, L Bernhardt, L Srinivasan, S Stevens, L Shenje, and M Galiñanes. Randomized controlled trial of intramuscular or intracoronary injection of autologous bone marrow cells into scarred myocardium. Nature Clinical Practice in Cardiovascular Medicine, 2008; 5(10):663-70.
- K Eardley, C Kubal, D Zender, M Quinkler, K Kaur, M Cooper, D Adu, P Cockwell. Capillary density, macrophage infiltration and interstitial scarring in the pathogenesis of human chronic kidney disease. Kidney International, 2008; 74(4):495-504.
- R Hanvesakul, C Kubal, E Sarkar, S Jham, K Eardley, D Adu, P Cockwell. Increased incidence of sepsis with late institution of Mycophenolate in renal transplant recipients. Nephrology Dialysis & Transplantation, 2008; 23(12):4049-53.
- C Kubal & C Bhati. Delayed Graft Function: Utility of Predictive Models! American Journal of Transplantation, 2006; 6(11): 2818-2819.
- C Bhati, C Kubal. Effect of preoperative biliary drainage on outcome of classical pancreaticoduodenectomy. World Journal of Gastroenterology 2007;13 (8):1240-2.
- C Kubal, S Ghotkar, J Gosney, M Carr. Pleural inflammatory myofibroblastoma: a locally aggressive intrathoracic tumor; Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery 2007; 2: 29.
- Bhati & C Kubal. Analysis of patients listed for liver transplantation in Shiraz, Iran. Indian Journal of Gastroenterology, 2006; 25(3):171.
- C Kubal & C Bhati. Payment for organs: a careful approach needed. British Medical Journal (online), rapid response 11th October 2006.
- M Galinanes, C Kubal, L Bernhardt, B Matata, F Leyva, D Chin. Phase II study on the transplantation of autologous bone marrow for the enhancement of cardiac contractility: Importance of the mode of delivery. Published abstract, Circulation 2004; 110, 17(III) – 462.
- RS Mangus, AJ Tector, C Kubal, J Andersen J, A Mull, JA Fridell , RM Vianna Establishing Extended Criteria for Deceased Intestine Donors Published abstract American Journal of Transplantstion 2010; 10 s(1), 78-78
- R Hanvesakul, D Briggs, C Kubal, J Moore, A Whitelegg, D Neil, N Inston, S Ball, P Moss, P Cockwell. Donor Natural Killer cells determine long term human kidney transplant outcomes through HLA-C sub-group dependent recipient dendritic-cell maturation. Published abstract, Transplantation International 2009;22,71-71
- C Kubal, R Hanvesakul, R Bates, P Cockwell. Chemokine receptors on human proximal tubular epithelial cells. Published abstract, American Journal of Transplantation 2006; 6(s2): 473.