Rajiv Sood, MD
Dr. Sanford and Thelma E. Glanz Professor of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Division Chief of Plastic Surgery
Program Director of Plastic Surgery
Director, Richard M. Fairbanks Burn Center
Medical Director of the IU Burn Team
Chief of Plastic Surgery at Riley Hospital for Children
Specialty: Plastic Surgery
Medical School: Albany Medical College
Residency: Temple University (General Surgery)
The Cleveland Clinic Foundation (Plastic Surgery)
Fellowship: Raymond Curtis Hand Ctr., Baltimore (Hand & Microsurgery)
Dr. Sood grew up in Albany, New York. He attended Union College in Schenectady, New York, graduating with a pre-medical focus and earned a BS with a dual major of Biology and French. He attended Albany Medical College in New York and graduated in 1984. He then completed 5 years of Residency at Temple University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. After his general surgery residency he furthered his training by going to the Cleveland Clinic Foundation in Cleveland Ohio to participate in a Plastic Surgery Residency. He then went on to a hand, nerve, and microsurgical fellowship at the Raymond Curtis Hand Center, John's Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland in 1992. Dr. Sood is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with added qualifications in hand and microsurgery.
After completing his training, Dr. Sood joined the faculty of the Indiana University School of Medicine. He was promoted to Associate Professor of Surgery in 1996. He became the Medical Director of the Richard Fairbanks Burn Center in 1992, which is a nationally recognized center for burn care and wound healing. Dr. Sood has achieved a prominent national and international reputation and is a well known investigator and national leader in research and clinical experience in emerging technologies for skin replacement. He has been awarded multiple grants and has written over 20 articles and 16 book chapters.
Dr. Sood's primary interests include cosmetic and reconstructive breast surgery, cosmetic surgery of the trunk and body, burn reconstructive surgery, and hand surgery. His background and many years of experience at Indiana University bring a unique experience and focus to his reconstructive and cosmetic plastic surgery practice.
IU Health Physicians
IU Health Methodist/IU Health University
IU Health North
Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health
IU Health West
IU Health Physicians Plastic Surgery
11725 N. Illinois St., Ste 545
Carmel, IN 46032
IU Health Physicians Plastic Surgery
545 Barnhill Dr., Ste 232
Indianapolis, IN 46202
720 Eskenazi Ave.
Indianapolis, IN 46202
- Sood, R., Cavarocchi, N.C., Mitra, A., McClurken, J.B., Kolff, J. Muscle Flap Closure for Infected Wounds After Heart Transplantation. Transplantation Proceedings. 22 (5): 2394-2399, 1990.
- Kerr, T.M., Sood, R., et al. Prospective Trial of the Six Hour Rule in Stab Wounds of the Chest. SGO. 169 (3): 223-225, 1989
- Sood, R., Kerr, T.M. Penetrating Gluteal Injuries: Assessment and Management. Trauma Quarterly 1 (2): 67-72,1989.
- Kerr, T.M., Sood, R. Management of Asymptomatic Stab Wounds of the Chest. Trauma Quarterly 1 (2): 27-31, 1989.
- Allen, G.H., Rahm, R., Shah, D. Metabolic Alterations in Trauma: Lactate and Pyruvate Levels After Aortic Surgery. Circulatory Shock. 11: 13-21, 1982.
- Mercer, D., Sood, R., Buckman, R.F. Anatomic Considerations in Penetrating Gluteal Trauma. Archives of Surgery. 127: 407-410,1992.
- Browne, E.Z., Stulberg, B., Sood, R. The Use of Muscle Flaps for Salvage of Failed Total Knee Arthroplasty. British Journal of Plastic Surgery. 47: 42-45,1994.
- Prevel, C.D., Eppley, B.L., Jackson, R.J., Moore, K., McCarty, M., Sood, R. Mini and Micro Plating of Phalangeal and Metacarpal Fractures: A Biomechanical Study. J Hand Surgery. 20A: 44-49, 1995.
- Brushart, T.M., Mathur, V., Sood, R., et al. Dispersion of Regenerating Axons Across Enclosed Neural Gaps. J Hand Surgery. 20A: 557-564,1995.
- Prevel, C.D., McCarty, M., Katona, T., Moore, K., Jackson, R., Eppley, B.L., Sood, R. Comparative Biomechanical Stability of Titanium Bone Fixation Systems in Metacarpal Fractures. Annals of Plastic Surgery. 35: 6-14, 1995.
- Zieger, M., Sood, R. Smoke Inhalation Injury. Pulmonary Press. June 1995.
- Eppley, B.L., Sadove, A.M., Coleman, J.J., Sood, R. Resorbable Screw Fixation Technique for Endoscopic Brow and Midfacial Lifts. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 102(1): 241-3. July 1998.
- Golosow L, Wagner J, Feely M, Sharp T, Sood R, Sadove AM, Havlik R, Eppley B, Coleman JJ. Risk Factors for Predicting Surgical Salvage of Sternal Wound -Healing Complications. Annals of Plastic Surgery. 43(1): 30-5. July 1999.
- Sian, K., Wagner, J., Sood, R., Park, H., Havlik, R., Coleman, J.J. Lymphoscintigraphy with Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy in Cutaneous Merkel Cell Carcinoma. Annals of Plastic Surgery. 42: 679-682, 1999.
- Sood, R., Prevel, C.D., Lalka, S., Eppley, B.M., Coleman, J.J. Bipedicled Fasciocutaneous Flaps for Inframalleolar Vascular Graft Coverage at the Ankle/Foot. Annals of Plastic Surgery 47(5):511-6, November 2001
- Selzer, D., Gomez, G., Jacobson, L., Wischmeyer, CPA, Sood, R., Broadie, T. Public Hospital Based Level 1 Trauma Centers: Financial Survival in the New Millennium. J Trauma Injury Infection & Critical Care 51(2):301-7, August 2001
- Sood, R., Mount, D., Coleman, JJ., Ranieri, J., Sauter, S., Mathur, P., Thurston, B. Effects of Reduction Mammoplasty on Pulmonary Function and Symptoms of Mascromastia. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 3 (2): 688-694, February 2003
- Sood, R., Ranieri, J., Murthy, V., Weber, K. Tibialis Anterior Muscle Flap for Full Thickness Tibial Burns. American Journal of Burn Care and Rehabilitation 24(6):386-391, November/December 2003
- Wilson, S.J., Knipe, C., Zieger, M., Gabehart, K., Goodman, J., Volk, H., Sood, R. Direct Costs of Multidrug-Resistant Acinetobacter baumannii in the Burn Unit. American Journal of Infection Control, 32(6):342-4, October 2004
- Nachreiner, R, Balledux, J, Zieger, M, Viegas, O, Sood, R. Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome Associated With Metoclopramide in a Burn Patient. (Case Report) The Journal of Burn Care and Research 2006, March-April;27(2):237-41
- Balledux, J, McCurry, T, Zieger, M, Coleman, JJ, Sood, R. Pneumatosis Intestinalis in a Burn Patient: Case Report and Literature Review. The Journal of Burn Care and Research, 2006, May-June;27(3):399-403
- Greenhalgh, D, Gamelli, R, Collins, J, Sood, R, Mozingo, D, Gray, T, Alexander, A. Recombinant Thrombin: Safety and Immunogenicity in Burn Wound Excision and Grafting. Journal of Burn Care and Research 2009, May/June; 30 (3): 371-379
- Sood, R, Balledux, J, Koumanis, D, Mir, H, Chaudhari, S, Roggy, D, Zieger, M, Cohen, A, Coleman, JJ. Coverage of Large Pediatric Wounds with Cultured Epithelial Autografts in Congenital Nevi and Burns: Results and Technique. Journal of Burn Care and Research 2009 July/August; 30(4):576-586
- Rajiv Sood M.D., David Roggy R.N., Madeline Zieger P.A-C., Jerone Balledux M.D., Swetanshu Chaudhari M.D., Dimitri J. Koumanis M.D., Haaris S. Mir M.D., Adam Cohen M.D., Cynthia Knipe M.S.N., Kari Gabehart F.N.P-B.C., John J. Coleman M.D. Cultured Epithelial Autografts (CEA) for Coverage of Large Burn Wounds in 88 Patients: The Indiana University Experience. Journal of Burn Care and Research 2010 Jul-Aug;31(4):559-68
- Sood, R. Zieger, M. Roggy, D. Nazim, M. Henderson, S. Hartman, B. “The Effectiveness of a Computerized IV Infusion Protocol to Treat Hyperglycemia in Burn Patients” J Burn Care Res 2012;XX:000–000