Michael W. Chu, MD
Assistant Professor of Surgery
Specialty: Plastic Surgery
Medical School: Medical College of Virginia
Residency: NYU Institute of Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
Michael W. Chu, MD is a plastic & reconstructive surgeon with specialty training in microsurgery. His particular interests include complex reconstruction, autologous (using your own tissues) breast reconstruction, head & neck reconstruction, limb salvage, microsurgery for lymphedema, as well as aesthetic surgery.
Dr. Chu has authored more than 20 peer-reviewed articles and book chapters and has presented research at regional and national conferences.
Born in Virginia and raised in San Diego, Dr. Chu received his medical degree from the Medical College of Virginia and completed his Otolaryngology (ENT) training at Eastern Virginia Medical School. He then continued his surgical training in Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery at NYU. Dr. Chu also completed additional fellowship training in microsurgical reconstruction at the University of Pennsylvania.
IU Health Physicians
IU Health Methodist/IU Health University
IU Health North
IU Health West
IU Health Methodist Professional Center I
1801 N. Senate Blvd., Ste 635
Indianapolis, IN 46202
IU Health University Hospital
550 N. University Blvd.
Indianapolis, IN 46202
Clinical Research Interests: microsurgery, breast construction (DIEP, msTRAM, SIEA, perforator flaps), Head & Neck reconstruction, limb salvage, microsurgery for lymphedema, fat grafting
- Pajukanta P, Bodnar JS, Sallinen R, Chu Michael, Airaksinen T, Xiao Q, Castellani LW, Sheth SS, Wessman M, Palotie A, Sinsheimer JS, Demant P, Lusis AJ, Peltonen L. “Fine Mapping of Hyplip1 and the human homolog, a potential locus for FCHL” Mammalian Genome, 2001;12(3):238-45.
- Bodnar JS, Chatterjee A, Castellani LW, Ross DA, Ohmen J, Cavalcoli J, Wu C, Dains KM, Catanese J, Chu Michael, Sheth SS, Charugundla K, Demant P, West DB, de Jong P, Lusis AJ. “Positional Cloning of thecombined hyperlipidemia gene, Hyplip1” Nature Genetics, Jan 2002;30:(1):110-16.
- Rudnick EF, Chu Michael, Dodson KM, Sismanis A, Mitchell RB. “Orbital Sequelae of Rhinosinusitis after Cochlear Implantation in Children” Laryngoscope, Aug 2006; 116(8):1368-1371.
- Rudnick EF, Chu Michael, Dodson KM, Sismanis A, Mitchell RB. Letter to the Editor, Laryngoscope, Aug 2007; 117(8):1505-1506.
- Chu Michael, Han JK. “Introduction to Pulmonary Function” Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America, Apr 2008;41(2):387-396.
- Chu Michael, Bloom DC, “Posterior Ankyloglossia: a case report” International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, Jun 2009; 73(6):881-883.
- Rawlings BR, Chu Michael, Derkay CS, “Laryngomalacia” Operative Techniques in Otolaryngology–Head & Neck Surgery, Dec 2009; 20: 222-228.
- Chu Michael, Leiser JD, Sinacori JT, “Use of Botulinum Toxin-A for Chronic Cough:a Neuropathic Model” Archives of Otolaryngology–Head & Neck Surgery, May 2010; 136 (5):447-452.
- Chu Michael, Karakla DW, Silverberg M, Han JK, “Primary Carcinoid of the Frontal Sinus: a Case Report” Ear, Nose, & Throat Journal, Oct 2010;89(10), E13-16.
- Chu Michael, Dobratz EJ, “Reconstruction of the Dorsal and Sidewall Defects”Facial Plastics Clinics of North America, Feb 2011;19(1):13-24.
- Chu Michael, Werner A, Moody-Antonio SA, “Juvenile Xanthogranuloma of the tympanic membrane: A case report” Ear, Nose, & Throat Journal, Sept 2012;91(9), 364-8.
- Barr JS, Chu, Michael, Thanik V, Sharma S, “Pediatric Thenar Flaps: a modified design, case series, and review of the literature”, Journal of Pediatric Surgery, Sept 2014;49(9):1433-8.
- White Z, Chu Michael, Hood RJ, “Nosocomial Nasal Myiasis: a Case Report” Ear, Nose, & Throat Journal, accepted May 2011.