Thomas Z. Hayward, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Surgery
Specialty: General Surgery
Residency: Duke University Medical Center
Fellowship: Duke University Medical Center and R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center
Thomas Z. Hayward, MD, MBA, is Associate Professor of Surgery at Indiana University School of Medicine and Medical Director of Nutrition Support Service/TPN at Indiana University Hospital in Indianapolis, Indiana. He is also an Attending Surgeon, Trauma Service and General Surgery, Wishard Hospital. He received his medical degree from Northwestern University Medical School and an MBA from Kellogg Graduate School of Management. He has given local, regional, and national presentations and has published book chapters and peer reviewed journal articles. Dr. Hayward’s interests center around continuous quality improvements and cost effectiveness in the delivery of health care. Specifically, he is interested in improving decision making in trauma, critical care, and emergency services through the use of registry data, systematic review, and decision analysis.
IU Health Physicians
IU Health Methodist/IU Health University
Eskenazi Health Outpatient Care Clinic
710 Eskenazi Ave., 3rd Floor
Indianapolis, IN 46202
Clinical Research Interests: Surgical infections; antibiotic pharmacokinetics in critically ill and injured patients; hemodynamic and organ function monitoring; computer applications in clinical care; health care financing; quality improvement
- Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma, January 2010 TZ Hayward, CJ Simons, W. St. John, M. Waymire, TD. Stucky. Impacting the Problem of Inner-City of Youth Violence. “Educating Kids about Gun Violence (EKG) Program”. Phoenix, AZ
- Clinical Nutrition Week-ASPEN Lecture “Feeding the Trauma/Emergency Surgery Patient: Myth versus Reality, February 11, 2010 Las Vegas, NV
- Southern Thoracic Surgery Association 1998 TZ Hayward, LA Hey, PK Smith, JE Lowe and FG Duhaylongsod. Endoscopic VS. Open Saphenous Vein Harvest: The effect on wound Complications, incisional pain and length of hospital stay. November 14th, 1998, Orlando, FL. Annals Thoracic Surg 66(3); 1998: 992-993.
- TZ Hayward, Staff of Duke Life Flight and Life Care, RW Anderson and GS Georgiade. The Effect of Integrated Air and Ground Transportation on Outcome. October 26th, 1998, Orlando, FL. Surgical Forum 84th Annual Clinical Congress 1998 XLVIII: 531-532.
- Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma 1999 TZ Hayward, SR Eachempati, GS Georgiade and RL Reed. The Effect of adding ground transport to an air transport System for the inter-facility transfer of trauma patients. January 14th, 1999, Orlando, FL. J Trauma 45(6); 1998:1117.
- Society Critical Care Medicine January 9th, 2006, San Francisco, CA Hayward, Thomas Z., Erdman, Sharon M., Barker, Jarrod S., Scott, Christopher M., Streib, Erik W., Simons, Clark J, Legman, Farzad; Gomez, Gerardo A, Jacobson Lewis E., Wilson, Stephen J.Optimazation Of Empiric Antibiotic Choices in Ventilator Associated Pneumonia using a simple, computer-assisted decision support tool Critical Care Medicine, Vol 33, Number 12, December 2005; Pg A10
- American Association for the Surgery of Trauma 2006: Streib, Erik W; Hayward III, Thomas Z; Simons, Clark J; Gomez, Gerardo A; Jacobson, Lewis E; Falimirski, Mark E; Bull, Marilyn J; O’Neil, Joseph; Hackworth, Jodi Lynn. Firearm Suicide: The Use of a Firearm Injury And Death Surveillance System. AAST, New Orleans, LA, Sept 2006.
- American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition 2007: Kathryn A Taylor, PharmD, Thomas Z. Hayward, MD, Suzanne Benjamin, RPh. Nutrition Support after Esophagogastrectomy: A Cautionary Tale. Phoenix, AZ. January 2007.
- Surgical Infection Society 2008: Hayward III, TZ; Armstrong, ZE; Roche, PL; Sitzmann, JV; Howard, TJ: Immunonutrition in Patients Undergoing Surgery for Upper Gastrointestinal Malignancies; a Comparison of Pre- Post- and Perioperative Supplementation Strategies using Decision Analysis. SIS, Hilton Head Island, SC, May 8, 2008.
- Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma, January 2010 TZ Hayward, CJ Simons, W. St. John, M. Waymire, TD Stucky. Impacting the Problem of Inner-City of Youth Violence. “Educating Kids about Gun Violence (EKG) Program”. Phoenix, AZ
- Clinical Nutrition Week - ASPEN Lecture “Feeding the Trauma/Emergency Surgery Patient: Myth versus Reality, February 11, 2010 Las Vegas, NV
- American College of Surgeons, October, 2010 Hayward TZ, Gregory LJ, Dunlap-Engle T, St. John W, Tucker R, Gomez GA. Traffic Violation Patterns after Participation in the Distracted, Excessive Speed, Aggressive and DUI (D.E.A.D.) Driving Program. American College of Surgeons Clinical Congress, October 2010, Washington, DC.
- 40th Society of Critical Care Medicine - “Baxter” Product Theater Workshop to Discuss Expanded Role of Parenteral Nutrition for Critically Ill Patients. San Diego, CA Convention Center. January 17th – 18th, 2011.
- Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma, January 2011 Hayward TZ, Gregory LJ, Dunlap-Engle T, St. John W, Tucker R, Gomez GA. Traffic Violation Patterns after Participation in the Distracted, Excessive Speed, Aggressive and DUI (D.E.A.D.) Driving Program. Naples, Florida.