Erik W. Streib, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Surgery
Director, Trauma/Surgical Critical Care Unit, IU/Wishard Level 1 Trauma Center
Specialty: General Surgery
Residency: Henry Ford Hospital
Fellowship: Henry Ford Hospital (Surgical Critical Care)
Dr. Erik Streib is originally from Bloomington, Indiana. He has a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology from Indiana University. Interest in emergency medical services and the care of the sick and injured lead him to a career in surgery. He is a graduate of the Indiana University School of Medicine. He completed his training in Surgery and Surgical Critical Care at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, Michigan. He returned to Indiana to become a member of the faculty in 2002.
Dr. Streib is the Director of the Trauma/Surgical Critical Care Unit at Wishard Health Services. His administrative and professional interests include promotion of patient safety, evidence based care, and injury prevention. He is actively involved in the education of surgeons, residents, and students. He was the recipient of the I.U. Trustee’s Teaching Award in 2008.
Dr. Streib’s clinical focus is elective and emergency general surgery, trauma care, and surgical critical care. This includes repair of hernias and laparoscopic surgery.
IU Health Physicians
IU Health Methodist/IU Health University
Eskenazi Health Outpatient Care Clinic
720 Eskenazi Ave., 3rd Floor Surgery Clinic
Indianapolis, IN 46202
Clinical Research Interests: Trauma, surgical critical care, general surgery
- Mowery NT, Gunter OL, Collier BR, Diaz JJ, Haut ER, Hildreth A, Holevar M, Mayberry J, Streib EW. Practice management guidelines for management of hemothorax and occult pneumothorax. J Trauma. 2011 Feb;70(2):
- Streib EW, Hackworth J, Hayward TZ, Jacobson LE, Simons CJ, Falimirski ME, O’Neil J, Bull MJ, Gomez GA. Firearm suicide: use of a firearm injury and death surveillance system. J Trauma. 2007 Mar;62(3):730-4.
- Diaz JJ, Cullinane DC, Altman DT, Bokhari F, Cheng JS, Como J, Gunter O, Holevar M, Jerome R, Kurek SJ, Lorenzo M, Mejia V, Miglietta M, O’Neill PJ, Rhee P, Sing R, Streib EW, Vaslef S; EAST practice management guidelines committee. Practice management guidelines for the screening of thoracolumbar spine fracture. J Trauma. 2007Sep;63(3):709-18.
- Mangus RS, Simons CJ, Jacobson LE, Streib EW, Gomez GA. Current helmet and protective equipment usage among previously injured ATV and motorcycle riders. Injury Prevention. 2004 Jan;10(1):56-8.
- Streib EW, Wagner JW. Complications of vascular access procedures in patients with vena cava filters. J Trauma 2000; 49(3):553-7; discussion 557-8.
- Howard TJ, Chin AC, Streib EW, Kopecky KK, Wiebke EA. Value of helical computed tomography, angiography, and endoscopic ultrasound in determining resectability of periampullary carcinoma. Am J Surg 1997; 174(3):237-41