Eugene P. Ceppa, MD
Assistant Professor of Surgery
Eugene P. Ceppa, M.D. joined the faculty at the Indiana University School of Medicine in August, 2012 as an Assistant Professor of Surgery. He received his B.A. from Johns Hopkins University and M.D. degree from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in 1999 and 2003, respectively. He completed his general surgical residency at Duke University Medical Center in 2010; this included a two year research fellowship at University of California, San Francisco studying mechanisms of pain signaling in acute and chronic pancreatitis supported by a NIH T32 training grant from 2005-2007. Dr. Ceppa completed additional surgical training including a Minimally Invasive/Bariatric Surgery fellowship at Duke University Medical Center from 2010-2011 and a Hepatopancreatobiliary Surgery fellowship at Indiana University Medical Center from 2011-2012. After joining the faculty, he has established general, minimally invasive and hepatopancreatobiliary surgery practices at IUH University Hospital, Roudebush VA Medical Center, IUH West Hospital, and Wishard Memorial Hospital. He currently serves at the ACS-NSQIP surgical champion for IUH University Hospital as well as the ACS-Indiana Chapter. In addition, he serves as the associate program director for the IU Hepatopancreatobiliary Surgery Fellowship.
IU Health Physicians
IU Health Methodist/IU Health University
IU Health West
IU Health University Hospital, Surgery OP Clinic
550 N. University Blvd., UH 1295
Indianapolis, IN 46202
Clinical Interests: general surgery, HPB surgery - acute and chronic pancreatitis, benign biliary disease, hepatic/pancreatic/biliary malignancy, foregut surgery - benign esophageal/gastric disease, GI malignancy, minimally invasive surgery - laparoscopic, single-incision, and robotic surgery
Clinical Research Interests: management and outcomes of pancreatic necrosis, safety and reproducibility of minimally invasive HPB surgery, methods of accelerating resident learning curve in surgery, effects of obesity in benign and malignant HPB disease
Basic Research Interests: mechanisms of visceral pain signaling, trypsin isoforms heterogenous role in pathogenesis of disease in various organ systems
Peer Reviewed Publications:
- Sun Z, Wada T, Uchikura K, Ceppa E, Klein AS. Role of Fas/Fasl in Kupffer cell-dependent deletion of alloantigen activated T cells following liver transplantation. Transplant Proc. Feb-Mar 33(1-2):279-282, 2001.
- Meilahn JE, Morris JB, Ceppa EP, Bulkley GB. Effect of prolonged selective intramesenteric arterial vasodilator therapy on intestinal viability after acute segmental mesenteric vascular occlusion. Ann Surg. Jul 234(1): 107-115, 2001.
- Brengman ML, Wang D, Wilkins KB, Sakamoto N, Arai T, Ceppa EP, Klein AS, Bulkley GB. Hepatic killing but not clearance of systemically circulating bacteria is dependent upon peripheral leukocytes via Mac-1 (CD11b/CD18). Shock. Mar19(3):263-267,2003.
- Ceppa EP, Fuh KC, Bulkley GB. Mesenteric hemodynamic response to circulatory shock. Curr Opin Crit Care. Apr 9(2):127-132, 2003. Review
- Hoshino S, Sun Z, Uchikura K, Tsugane K, Ceppa E, Bulkley GB, Klein AS. Biliary obstruction reduces hepatic killing & phagocytic clearance of circulating microorganisms in rats. J Gastrointest Surg. May 7(4):497-506, 2003.
- Qaddoumi I, Ceppa EP, Mansour A, Sughayer MA, Tihan T. Desmoplastic noninfantile ganglioglioma: report of a case. Pediatr Dev Pathol. Nov-Dec 9(6):462-467, 2006.
- Ceppa EP, Bouffet E, Griebel R, Robinson C, Tihan T. The pilomyxoid astrocytoma and its relationship to pilocytic astrocytoma: report of a case and a critical review of the entity. J Neurooncol. Jan 81(2):191-196, 2007.
- Ceppa, EP, Evans, D, Upton, EC, Miller, MJ, Lawson JH. Endovascular treatment of a traumatic visceral aneurysm. J Trauma. Oct;65(4):929-32, 2008.
- Lennerz JK, Ruehle V, Ceppa EP, Neuhuber WL, Bunnett NW, Grady EF, Messlinger K. Calcitonin receptor like receptor (CLR), receptor activity modifying protein 1 (RAMP1) and calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) immunoreactivity in the rat trigeminovascular system – differences between peripheral and central CGRP receptor distribution. J Comp Neurol. Mar 20;507(3):1277-99, 2008.
- Ceppa EP and TN Pappas. How I Do It: Modified Puestow Lateral Pancreaticojejunostomy. J Gastrointest Surg. 2009, May;13(5):1004-8.
- Ceppa EP, Sileshi B, Beasley G, Lawson, JH. Surgical Excision of Infected Arteriovenous Grafts: Technique and Review. J Vasc Access 2009, Jul-Sept;10(3):148-152.
- Ceppa EP, de la Fuente SG, Reddy SK, Clary BM, Tyler, DS, Pappas, TN, White RR. MD. Defining criteria for selective operative management of pancreatic cystic lesions: does size really matter? J Gastrointest Surg 2010 Feb; 14(2):236-244.
- Reddy SK, Kattan MW, Jarnagin WR, Ceppa EP, de la Fuente SG, Fong Y, Clary BM, White RR. Validation of a prognostic nomogram for survival following resection of colorectal liver metastases. HPB 2010 Nov; 11(7):592-9.
- de la Fuente SG; Ceppa EP, Reddy SR, Clary BM, Tyler DS, Pappas TN. Incidence of benign disease in patients diagnosed with presumed pancreatic cancer by endoscopic ultrasonography (EUS) and fine-needle aspiration (FNA). J Gastrointest Surg 2010 Jul;14(7):1139-42.
- Ceppa EP, Cattaruza F, Lyo V, Amadesi S, Pelayo J, Poole D, Vaksman N, Liedtke W, Cohen D, Grady EF, Bunnett NW, Kirkwood, KS. Transient Receptor Potential (TRP) Channels V4 and A1 Contribute to Pancreatitis Pain in Mice. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2010 Sep;299(3):G556-71.
- Ceppa EP, Knecht W, Petersen A, Grady EF, Lyo V, Grahn S, Bunnett NW, Kirkwood, KS, Cattaruza, F. Serine Proteases Mediate Inflammatory Pain in Acute Pancreatitis. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2011 Jun;300(6):G1033-42.
- Diesen DL, Erhunmwunsee L, Bennett KM, Yurcisin B, Ceppa EP, Omotosho PA, Perez A, Pryor, AD. Effectiveness of Laparoscopic Computer Simulator versus Usage of Box-Trainer for Endoscopic Surgery Training of Novices. JSurg Educ 2011 Jul-Aug;68(4):282-9.
- Rialon K, Ceppa EP, Mureebe L. Saphenous vein aneurysms. J Surg Radiol 2011 Jul1;2(3).
- Omotosho PA, Yurcisin B, Ceppa EP, Miller J, Kirsch D, Portenier DD. In Vivo Assessment of an Absorbable and Non-absorbable Knotless Barbed Suture for Laparoscopic Single-Layer Enterotomy Closure: A Clinical and Biomechanical Comparison Against Non-barbed Suture. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2011 Dec;21(10):893-7.
- Ceppa EP, Ceppa DP, Omotosho PA, Dickerson JA, Park CW, Portenier DD. Algorithm to Diagnose the Etiology of Hypoglycemia Following Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass for Morbid Obesity: Case Series and Review of the Literature. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2012 Sep-Oct;8(5):641-7.
- Barbas A, Turley R, Ceppa EP, Clary BM, Tyler DS, Pappas TN, Lagoo S, White RR. Peri-operative outcomes of pancreaticoduodenectomy in the elderly. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012 Feb;60(2):344-50.
- Turley RM, Barbas A, Ceppa EP, Petersen K, Paulson, E, Blazer DG III, Clary BM, Pappas TN, Tyler DS, McCann RL, White RR. The Effect of Portal Venous Reconstruction on Morbidity and Mortality of Pancreaticoduodenectomy. Ann Vasc Surg. 2012 Jul;26(5):685-92.
- Ceppa EP, Park CW, Portenier DD, Pryor AD. Single incision laparoscopic right hemicolectomy: an efficient technique. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. 2012 Apr;22(2):88-94.
- Ceppa EP, Burbridge R, Rialon KL, Emick DA, Omotosho PA, Jowell PS, Branch MS, Pappas TN. Endoscopic versus Surgical Ampullectomy: an Algorithm to Treat Disease of the Ampulla of Vater. Ann Surg. 2013 Feb;257(2):315-22.
- Ceppa EP, House MG, Pitt HA, Nakeeb A, Schmidt CM, Zyromski NJ, Lillemoe KD. Reducing Surgical Site Infection in Hepato-Pacreato-Biliary Surgery. HPB (Oxford). 2013 May;15(5):384-91.
- Ceppa EP, Pitt HA, Hunter JL, Leys C, Zyromski NJ, Rescorla F, Sandrasegaran K, Fogel E; McHenry L, Watkins J, Sherman S, Lehman G. Hereditary Pancreatitis: Endoscopic and Surgical Management. J Gastrointest Surg. 2013 May;17(5):847-57.