Leonidas G. Koniaris, MD, FACS
Professor of Surgery
Vice Chair of Research
Specialty: General Surgery
Doctor Koniaris is a general surgeon with advanced training in cancer surgery particularly of the gastrointestinal tract, liver and pancreas. In addition doctor Koniaris has developed advanced experience in the management of soft tissue sarcomas.
Doctor Koniaris' has extensive clinical and research experience in the most current surgical management for these difficult malignancies. He has also presented and published many of the largest surgical series treating these cancers in top surgical journals. Doctor Koniaris has also published expertise in the management of rare malignancies including inflammatory myofibroblastic tumors (IMT) and extrapulmonary small cell cancers.
Overall Dr Koniaris has published almost 200 peer-reviewed articles in the field of surgery and cancer. He also sits on a number of editorial boards. He also is funded by the National Institutes of Health.
IU Health Physicians
IU Health Methodist/IU Health University
IU Health University Hospital, Surgery OP Clinic
550 N. University Blvd., UH 1295
Indianapolis, IN 46202
- Allan BJ, Pedroso F, Gennis ER, Livingstone AS, Montero A, Lally B, Ardalan B, Koniaris LG, Solomon NL, Franceschi D. Influence of treatment modality in outcomes for different stages of resectable esophageal adenocarcinomas. Ann Surg Oncol. 2013 May;20(5):1660-7.
- Misra S, Pedroso FE, DiPasco PJ, Solomon NL, Gennis E, Franceschi D, Ardalan B, Koniaris LG. Does neoadjuvant chemotherapy improve outcomes for patients with gastric cancer? J Surg Res. 2012 Dec;178(2):623-31.
- Bayraktar UD, Bayraktar S, Hosein P, Chen E, Koniaris LG, Rocha-Lima CM, Montero AJ. Preoperative docetaxel/cisplatin/5-fluorouracil chemotherapy in patients with locally advanced gastro-esophageal adenocarcinoma. Med Oncol. 2012 Sep;29(3):1707-10. doi: 10.1007/s12032-011-0093-8. Epub 2011 Oct 28.
- Pedroso FE, Raut CP, Xiao H, Yeo CJ, Koniaris LG. Has the survival rate for surgically resected gastric gastrointestinal stromal tumors improved in the tyrosine kinase inhibitor era? Ann Surg Oncol. 2012 Jun;19(6):1748-58.
- Perez EA, Livingstone AS, Franceschi D, Rocha-Lima C, Lee DJ, Hodgson N, Jorda M, Koniaris LG. Current incidence and outcomes of gastrointestinal mesenchymal tumors including gastrointestinal stromal tumors. J Am Coll Surg. 2006 Apr;202(4):623-9.
- Dipasco PJ, Misra S, Koniaris LG. Conformational technique for non-anatomic resection of liver lesions. J Gastrointest Surg. 2012 Oct;16(10):1972-5.
- Rahman A, Assifi MM, Pedroso FE, Maley WR, Sola JE, Lavu H, Winter JM, Yeo CJ, Koniaris LG. Is resection equivalent to transplantation for early cirrhotic patients with hepatocellular carcinoma? A meta-analysis. J Gastrointest Surg. 2012 Oct;16(10):1897-909.
- Koniaris LG, Levi DM, Pedroso FE, Franceschi D, Tzakis AG, Santamaria-Barria JA, Tang J, Anderson M, Misra S, Solomon NL, Jin X, DiPasco PJ, Byrne MM, Zimmers TA. Is surgical resection superior to transplantation in the treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma? Ann Surg. 2011 Sep;254(3):527-37; discussion 537-8.
- Earle SA, Perez EA, Gutierrez JC, Sleeman D, Livingstone AS, Franceschi D, Levi JU, Robbins C, Koniaris LG. Hepatectomy enables prolonged survival in select patients with isolated noncolorectal liver metastasis. J Am Coll Surg. 2006 Oct;203(4):436-46. Epub 2006 Aug 23.
- Koniaris LG, Sola JE. Prognostication for trunk and retroperitoneal sarcomas. Ann Surg. 2010 Jul;252(1):201.
- Gutierrez JC, Perez EA, Moffat FL, Livingstone AS, Franceschi D, Koniaris LG. Should soft tissue sarcomas be treated at high-volume centers? An analysis of 4205 patients. Ann Surg. 2007 Jun;245(6):952-8.
- Perez EA, Gutierrez JC, Moffat FL Jr, Franceschi D, Livingstone AS, Spector SA, Levi JU, Sleeman D, Koniaris LG. Ann Surg Oncol. 2007 Mar;14(3):1114-22. Epub 2007 Jan 7.