Benjamin C. James, MD MS
Assistant Professor of Surgery
Specialty: General Surgery
Medical School: Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Residency: Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Fellowship: Endocrine Surgery – University of Chicago - Endocrine Surgery Research Fellow – University of Chicago
Ben James, MD MS, Assistant Professor of Surgery, IU Division of General Surgery, Department of Surgery, Indiana University Medical Center, Indianapolis
Dr. James received his B.A. (biology) from SUNY Binghamton University in 2004 (Magna cum Laude) and his M.D. from Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine in 2008. He completed his general surgery residency at Penn State Hershey Medical Center (Alpha Omega Alpha) and served as the administrative chief resident in his final year of training (2013). He then completed an endocrine surgery fellowship at the University of Chicago (2014). Following this, he obtained a Master’s in Public Health Sciences at the University of Chicago and completed an Endocrine Surgery Research Fellowship (2015). He is Board-certified in Surgery.
Dr. James is an endocrine surgeon with extensive knowledge in endocrine surgery. He has made scientific contributions in quality of life in thyroid cancer survivors, minimally-invasive parathyroidectomy, intraoperative PTH monitoring, pediatric thyroid cancer and has authored four book chapters in endocrine surgery.
IU Health Physicians
IU Health Methodist/IU Health University
IU Health North
IU Health West
IU Health Univeristy Hospital
550 N. University Blvd., Ste 1295
Indianapolis, IN 46202
Clinical Interests: Thyroid nodule, thyroid cancer, goiter, Graves’ Disease, pediatric thyroid cancer, minimally-invasive parathyroidectomy, hyperparathyroidism, secondary hyperparathyroidism, adrenal nodules, pheochromocytoma, Cushing’s Syndrome, hyperaldosteronism, laparoscopic adrenalectomy
Basic Research Interests: Outcomes research in endocrine surgery and general surgery
- James BC, Cipriani N, Aschebrook-Kilfoy B, Kaplan EL, Angelos P, Grogan RH. Incidence and Survival Trends of Rare Malignancies of the Thyroid, Parathyroid, Adrenal, and Endocrine Pancreas. (in submission- Annals of Surgical Oncology).
- Applewhite MK, James BC, Aschebrook-Kilfoy B, Kaplan EL, Angelos P, Grogan RH. Quality of Life in Thyroid Cancer is Similar to That of Other Cancers with Worse Survival. (in submission- World Journal of Surgery).
- Appewhite MK, White MG, Xiong M, Pasternak JD, James BC, Abdulrasool L, Ogawa L, Mitmaker EJ, Suh I, Gosnell JE, Duh QY, Angelos P, Kaplan EL, Shen WT, Grogan RH. Incidence, Risk Factors and Clinical Outcomes of Incidental Parathyroidectomy During Thyroid Surgery: A Multi-Institutional Study. (in preparation).
- James BC, Aschebrook-Kilfoy B, White MG, Applewhite MK, Kaplan S, Angelos P, Kaplan EL, Grogan RH. Quality of Life in Thyroid Cancer – Assessment of Physician Perceptions. (in preparation).
- James BC, Jeon H, Kaplan EL, Angelos P, Grogan RH. Adrenal Renal Fusion: A Case Series and Review of the Literature. (in preparation).
- Aschebrook-Kilfoy B, James BC, Nagar S, Seng V, Kaplan S, Ahsan H, Angelos P, Kaplan E, Grogan RH. The North American Thyroid Cancer Survivorship Study: Preliminary Findings for the NATCSS 1000. (in press- Thyroid).
- James BC, White MG, Nocon C, Nagar S, Kaplan E, Angelos P, Grogan RH. A Prospective Study to Determine the Best Predictors of Symptomatic Hypocalcemia After Thyroidectomy. (in submission- Journal of Surgical Research).
- James BC, Kaplan EL, Grogan RH, Angelos P. What’s in a name?: Providing Clarity in the Definition of Minimally Invasive Parathyroidectomy. World Journal of Surgery, 2014. Dec;39(4):975-80.
- James BC, Hwang JL, Grogan RH, Kaplan EL, Sarne D, Angelos P. Leontiasis Ossea caused by longstanding hyperparathyroidism secondary to chronic renal failure. Surgery, 2014. Dec;156(6):1644-6.
- James BC, Nagar S, Tracy M, Scherberg N, Kaplan EL, Angelos P, Grogan RH. A Novel, ultra-rapid parathyroid hormone assay to distinguish parathyroid from nonparathyroid tissue. Surgery, 2014. Dec;156(6):1638-43.
- Kulaylat AN, Kenning EM, Chesnut CH, James BC, Schubart JR, Saunders BD. The Profile of Successful Applicants for Endocrine Surgery Fellowships: Results of a National Survey. American Journal of Surgery, 2014 Oct;208(4):685-9.
- Bhayani NH, Enomoto LM, James BC, Ortenzi G, Kaifi JT, Kimchi ET, Staveley-O’Carroll KF, Gusani NJ. Multivisceral and Extended Resections during Pancreatoduodenectomy Increase Morbidity and Mortality. Surgery, 155 (3): 567-74, 2014.
- Thompson AE, James BC, Saunders BD. Evaluation and Treatment of Inherited Pheochromocytoma in Pregnancy. World Journal of Endocrine Surgery, 5 (3): 82-84, 2013.
- Green MJ, Masters R, James BC, Simmons B, Lehman E. Do Gifts from the Pharmaceutical Industry Affect Trust in Physicians? Family Medicine, 44 (5): 325-31, 2012.