John Brown, MD
Harris B Shumacker Emeritus Professor of Surgery
Specialty: Cardiac Surgery
Medical School: Indiana University School of Medicine
Residency: University of Michigan
Fellowship: University of Michigan
John W. Brown was Chief of the Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery for 20 years and is the Harris B Shumacker Professor Emeritus of Surgery at Indiana University School of Medicine. Dr. Brown is a native of southern Indiana and attended Indiana University for both his undergraduate and medical school education, completing his MD degree in 1970. He and his wife, Carol Ann, moved to Ann Arbor, Michigan where he completed his general surgery residency in 1976 and his cardiothoracic surgery residency in 1978. From 1972-1974 he served as a clinical associate in cardiac surgery at the National Heart and Lung Institute in Bethesda, Maryland.
In 1978, Dr. Brown returned to Indianapolis and to Indiana University School of Medicine as an assistant professor of surgery in the division of cardiothoracic surgery. Since then he has worked his way up through the academic ranks and became Professor of Surgery in 1988. He assumed the duties of section director of the division of cardiothoracic surgery in 1990, a position he held for the next 20 years. He became the Harris B Shumacker Professor of Cardiothoracic Surgery in 1993. Dr. Brown also served the section as the residency program director and trained over 80+ cardiothoracic surgeons who currently practice in the United States, and several who practice abroad.
Dr. Brown’s primary clinical interest is complex congenital heart disease and cardiac transplantation but he also continues an active practice in acquired cardiac disease. He has been active throughout his career in both bench and clinical research and has published more than 300 papers and book chapters in the field of cardiothoracic surgery. He is a member of many national and international societies which include The Society of Thoracic Surgeons, American Association of Thoracic Surgery, European Association of Cardiothoracic Surgery, and the American Surgical Association. He has given invited talks throughout the world. He has served on the Thoracic Surgery Residency Review Committee and was Chairman for 2 years. He served as President of the Thoracic Surgery Director’s Association from 2007-2009. He is serving as president of the Congenital Heart Surgeons Society of North American from 2012-2014. There are 12 surgeons in Dr. Brown’s division and 3 of the 12 are busy congenital heart surgeons.
Dr. Brown and his wife, Carol Ann, actively own and operate a crop and livestock farm near Gosport, Indiana where they both grew up. They enjoy many summer and winter outdoor activities. They have 3 married children and 5 grandchildren.
IU Health Physicians
IU Health Methodist/IU Health University
IU Health North
Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health
Emerson Hall #212
545 Barnhill Dr
Indianapolis, IN 46202
IU Health Cardiovascular Center
1801 N Senate Blvd #3550
Indianapolis, IN 46202
Riley Outpatient Center
702 Barnhill Dr MSA 2
Indianapolis, IN 46202
Clinical Research Interests
Outcomes Research on:
- Ross Aortic Valve Replacement in Children & Adults
- Aortic Valve Bypass in Elderly High Risk Patients with Aortic Stenosis
- Cardiac Transplantation in Children and Adults
- Right Ventricular Outflow Tract Reconstruction in Children and Adults.
- Outcomes of Surgery for the Full Spectrum of Congenital Heart Defects.
- Brown JW, Christian C, and Paradise RR: Histological effects of procedural and environmental factors on isolated rat heart preparations. Proc Soc Exper Biol Med 1968;129:455.
- Brown JW, Myerowitz PD, Cann MS, Colvin SB, McIntosh CL, and Morrow AG: Clinical and hemodynamic comparisons of Kay-Shiley, Starr Edwards #6520, and Regis-Hancock porcine xenograft mitral valves. Surgery 1974;76:983.
- Brown JW, Myerowitz PD, Cann MS, McIntosh CL, and Morrow AG: Apical aortic anastomosis; A method for relief of diffuse left ventricular outflow tract obstruction. Surg Forum 1974;25:147.
- Boretos JW, Brown JW: Materials and design considerations for improved apical aortic anastomosis. Proc Amer Soc Mechan Engin, Nov 1974.
- Cimmino VM, Bove EL, Argenta LC, Brown JW, Kirsh MM: The effect of simultaneous administration of levarterenol and phentolamine on renal blood flow. Ann Thorac Surg, Jul 1976; 21:158-163.
- Brody WE, Brown JW, Reitz BA, Fry DL, Michaelis LL: Effects of dipryidamole and methylprednisolone on intimal thickening in vein grafts. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1975;70:701.
- Bove EL, Argenta LC, CimminoVM, Brown JW, Nishiyama RH, Kirsh MM: The morphologic effects of simultaneous infusion on levarterenol and phentolamine on the canine myocardium. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, Oct 1975; 70: 701-706.
- Brown JW, Salles CA, Kirsh MM: Extra anatomic bypass of the aortic root: An experimental technique for treatment of prosthetic endocarditis. Ann Thorac Surg, Jul 1977; 24:433-438.
- Brody WR, Brown JW, Reitz BA, Fry DL, Michaelis LL: Effects of dipyridamol and methylprednisolone on intimal thickenings in vein grafts. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, Jul 1977; 73: 601-604.
- Thompson NW, Brown JW, Orringer M, Sisson J, Nishiyama RL: Follicular carcinoma of the thyroid with massive angio-invasion extension of tumor thrombus to the heart. Surgery 1978;83:451.
- Kirsh MM, Peterson A, Brown JW, Orringer MB, Ritter F, Sloan H: Treatment of caustic injuries of the esophagus: A ten year experience. Ann Surg 1978;75.
- Brown JW, Dunn .JM, Bymer JF, Kirsh MM: Simultaneous treatment of aortic stenosis and coarctation of the aorta: left thoracotomy with apico-aortic conduit. Ann Thorac Surg, Jul 1978; 25:364-367.
- Brown JW, Dunn JM, Spooner E, Kirsh MM: Late spontaneous disruption of a porcine xenograft mitral valve. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, Jul 1978; 75: 606-611.
- Brown JW, Kirsh MM: Technique for insertion of apico-aortic conduit. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, Jul 1978; 76: 90-92.
- Campbell, J.P., Delorenzi, R., Brown, J.W., Girod, D.A., Hurwitz, R.A., Caldwell, R.L., and King, H. Improved results in newborns undergoing coarctation repair. Ann Thorac Surg 1980;30:273.
- Shoemaker, R., Palmer, G., Brown, J.W., and King H. Aggressive treatment of acquired phrenic nerve paralysis in infants and small children. Ann Thorac Surg, Jul 1981; 32:250-259.
- Dunn, J.M., Brown, J.W., et al. Porcine valve durability in children. Ann Thorac Surg 1981;32:357.
- Brown, J., King, H. Cardiac surgery in the critically ill infant during the first three months of life. In: Surg Clinics of N Amer 1981;61(5):1063-78
- Fiore AC, Brown JW, Cromartie RS, Ofstein LV, Peigh PS, Sears NS, Deschner WP, King H: Prosthetic Replacment of the Thoracic Vena Cava: An Experimental Study. Jour Thorac Card Surg 84(4):560-8, 1982 Oct.
- Fiore, A.C., Peigh, P.S., Deschner, W.P., Sears, N.J., and Brown, J.W. Prevention of extracardiac conduit obstruction: an experimental study. J Surg Res 1983;34:463.
- Peigh, P.S., Sears, N.J., Fiore, A.C., Bills, R., Michaelis, D., and Brown, J.W. Prosthetic patch angioplasty for coarctation repair: Effects of patch size and material on development of patch thrombosis and neointima. Current Surg 1983;40:206
- Rocchini, A., Brown, J.W., Crowley, D., Girod, D.A., Behrendt, D., and Rosenthal, A. Clinical and hemodynamic followup of left ventricular to aortic conduits in patients with aortic stenosis. JACC 1983;1(4):1135.
- Fiore, A.C., Brown, J.W., Cromartie, R.S., Ofstein, L.C., Peigh, P.S., Sears, N.J., Deschner, W.P., and King, H. Prosthetic replacement for the thoracic vena cava: an experimental study. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, Jul 1982; 84: 560-568.
- Fiore, A.C., Peigh, P.S., Robison, R.J., Glant, M.D., King, H., and Brown, J.W. Valved and non-valved RV-PA extra cardiac conduits: An experimental comparison. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, Jul 1983; 86: 490-497.
- Peigh, P.S., Fiore, A.C., Waller, B., Robison, R.J., King, H., and Brown, J.W. Performance of externally stented knitted Dacron as a prosthetic replacement for the thoracic vena cava. Surg Forum 1983;24:486.
- Stoelting, R.K., and Brown, J.W. Protamine induced allergic reaction following cardiopulmonary bypass. J of Extra Corporeal Tech 1984;16:37.
- Markand, O.N., Kincaid, J.C., Pourmand, R.A., Moorthy, S.S., King, R.D., Mahomed, Y., and Brown, J.W. Electrophysiologic evaluation of diaphragm by transcutaneous phrenic nerve stimulator. Neurology 1984;34:604-14.
- Robison, R.J., Peigh, P.S., Fiore, A..C., Deschner, W.P., Sears, N.J., Whitaker, J.S., King, H., and Brown, J.W. Venous prosthesis: Improved patency with external stents. J Surg Research 1984;36:306.
- Robison, R.J., Brown, J.W., Deschner, W.P., Higher, B., and King, H. Prevention of pericardial adhesions with Dextran 70. Ann Thorac Surg, Jul 1984; 37:488-490.
- Brown, J.W. and Fiore, A.C. Mechanical valve function in apico-aortic conduits: Experimental evaluation without coumadin anticoagulation. Surgical Forum 1984;25:219.
- Zipes, D.P., Heger, J.J., Miles, W.M., Mahomed, Y., Brown, J.W., Speilman, S.R., and Prystowsky, E.N. Early experience with the implantable cardioverter. N Eng J of Med 1984;311:385.
- Brown JW, Girod DA, Hurwitz RA, Caldwell RL, Rocchini AP, Kirsh MM, Behrendt DM: Apicoaortic Valved Conduits for Complex Left Ventricular Outflow Obstruction: Technical Considerations and Current Status. Ann Thorac Surg, Jul 1984; 38:162-8.
- Brown JW: A comparison of valved with nonvalved extra cardiac conduits. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, Jul 1984; 87: 474.
- Herring, M., Gardner, A., Peigh, P.S., Madison, D., Baughman, S., Brown, J.W., and Glover, J. Patency of canine inferior vena cava grafting. The effects of graft material size and endothelial seeding. J Vasc Surg 1984;1:877.
- Stoelting RK, Henry DP, Verberg KM, McCammon RL, King RD, Brown JW: Haemodynamic changes and circulating histamine concentrations following protamine administration to patients and dogs. Canadian Anaesthetists’ Society Journal 31(5):534-40, 1984 Sep.
- Mahomed Y, Moorthy SS, Brown JW, King RD: ECG Changes with Papaverine Injection into Coronary Artery Bypass Grafts. Anesthesiology 61(3):350-2, 1984 Sep.
- Brown, J.W., Robison, R.J., and Waller, B.F. Transventricular balloon catheter aortic valvotomy in neonates. Ann Thorac Surg, Jul 1985; 39:376-378.
- Markand, O.N., Kincaid, J.C., Pourmand, R.A., Moorthy, S.S., King, R.D., Mahomed, Y., and Brown, J.W. Postoperative phrenic nerve palsy in patients with open heart surgery. Ann Thorac Surg, Jul 1985; 39:68-73.
- Brown, JW, Marts, B., Gilbert, P., Girod, D, Hurwitz, R., Caldwell, R., Mahony, L., and King, H. Selective two stage repair of tetralogy of Fallot. JACC 1985;(5)22:478.
- Mahony, L., Scully, W.E., Weaver, D.D., Girod, D.A., Brown, J.W., Caldwell, R.L., and Hurwitz, R.A. Patent ductus arteriosus, atrial septal defect and branch pulmonary artery stenosis: A new syndrome with apparent autosomol dominant transmission. Am J Cardiol 1985;55:859-60.
- Hurwitz, R.A., Caldwell, R.L., Girod, D.A., Mahony, L., Brown, J.W., and King, H. Ventricular function in transposition of the great arteries: Evaluation by radionuclide angiocardiography. Amer Heart J 1985;110(3):600-05.
- Brown, J.W., Stevens, L.H., Lynch, L., Hurwitz, R.A., Caldwell, R.L., Girod, D.A., Mahony, L., and King, H. Surgery for discrete subvalvular aortic stenosis: Actuareal survival hemodynamic results and acquired aortic regurgitation. Ann Thorac Surg, Aug 1985:40(2) 151-155 .
- Brown, J.W., Fiore, A.C., and King, H. Isthmus flap aortoplasty: An alternative to subclavian flap aortoplasty for long segment coarctation of the aorta in infants. Ann Thorac Surg, Jul 1985; 40:274-279.
- Robison, R.J., Fehrenbacher, J., Madura, J., Brown, J.W., and King, H. Emergent pulmonary embolectomy. Ann Thorac Surg 1985;40:620.
- Jessep, J.M., Mahony, L., Girod, D.A., and Brown, J.W. Ductus arteriosus aneurysms in infancy. Ann Thorac Surg, Jul 1985; 40:620-622.
- Rittenhouse, E.A., Tenckhoff, L., Kawabori, I., Mansfield, P.B., Hall, D., Brown, J.W., and King, H. Surgical repair of anatomically corrected malposition of the great arteries. Ann Thorac Surg, Jul 1986; 42:220-228.
- Moorthy, S.S., Markand, O., Mahomed, Y., and Brown, J.W. Electro-physiologic evaluation of phrenic nerves in severe respiratory insufficiency requiring mechanical ventilation. Chest 1985;88:211-214.
- Stoelting, R.K., Henry, D.P., Verberg, K.M., McCamman, R.L., King, R.D., and Brown, J.W. Hemodynamic changes and circulation histomine concentration following protamine administration to patients and dogs. Can Anesth Soc J 1984;31:435-40.
- Brown, J.W., Halpin, M.P., Rescorla, F.J., Van Natta, B.W., Fiore, A.C., Shipley, G.D., Bizuneh, M., Bills, R., and Waller, B. Externally stented polytetrafluoroethylene valved conduits for right heart reconstruction: An experimental study. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, Jul 1985; 90:833-841.
- Raess, D.R., Mahomed, Y., Brown, J.W., King, R., and King, H. Lesser saphenous vein as the alternative conduit of choice in coronary bypass operations. Ann Thorac Surg, Jul 1986; 41:334-36.
- Zipes, D., Mahomed, Y., King, R., Heger, J., Miles, W., Brown, J.W., Adams, D., and Prystowsky, E. Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome: Cryosurgical treatment. Ind Med 1986;79(5):432-37.
- Stone, K., Brown, J.W., and Haselby, K.S. Elimination of hemorrhage following right atrial catheter removal: A simple technique. Ann Thorac Surg, Jul 1986; 41:571.
- Means, L., Beckman, D., Brown, J., King. H: Detection of systemic to pulmonary shunt by end tidal carbon dioxide. Anesth Anal 1987 66:1055-6.
- Robison, R.J., Brown, J.W., Deschner, W.P., and King, R.D. Intraluminal shunting of operatively severed aortocoronary saphenous vein grafts. Ann Thorac Surg, Jul 1986; 42:475-476.
- Fehrenbacher, J.W., Robison, Jr., Brown, J.W., Madura, W., King, H.: Emergent Pulmonary Embolectomy: The Treatment of Massive Pulmonary Embolus. Ann Thorac Surg, Jul 1986; 42:52-55.
- Stevens, L. and Brown, J.W. Can non-cardiac muscle provide useful cardiac assistance? Amer Surg 1986;52.
- Caldwell, R.L., Girod, D.A., Hurwitz, R.A., Mahoney, L., King, H., and Brown, J.W. Preoperative two-dimensional echocardiographic prediction of prosthetic aortic and mitral valve size in children. Amer Heart J 1987;113:873-78.
- Moorthy, S.S., Brown, J.W., McNiece, W.L., Rao, C.C., and Means, L.D. Does alveolar dead space decrease after Blalock-Taussig shunt? Chest 1987;89:509S.
- Moorthy, S.S., Lein, T., Mahomed, Y., Brown, J.W., King, R., and Stoelting, R.K. Changes in oxygen consumption during cardiopulmonary bypass. Critical Care Medicine 1987;14:379.
- McCannaha, M., Brown, J.W., and King, H. Isthmus flap aortoplasty: A new approach to long segment coarctation repair. AORN 1987;45:762-68.
- Brown, J.W., Dierdorf, S.F., Moorthy, S.S., and Halpin, M. Veno-arterial cerebral perfusion for treatment of massive arterial air embolism. J of Intern’l Anesthesia Res Soc ANEST ANALG 1987;66:673-74.
- Markand, O.N., Lee, B.I., Warren, C., Stoelting, R.K., King, R.K., Brown, J.W., and Mahomed, Y. Effects of hypothermia on brainstem auditory evoked potentials in humans. Ann of Neurology 1987;22(4).
- Robinson, R.J., Brown, J.W., Caldwell, R.L., Stone, K.S., and King, H. The management of asymptomatic intracardiac missiles using echocardiography. Ann Thorac Surg 1987;43:227-31.
- Stone, K., Brown, J.W., Canal, D.F., and King, H. Long-term fate of the diaphragm surgically plicated during infancy and early childhood. Ann Thorac Surg, Jul 1987; 44:62-65.
- Robison, R.J., DeSanto, A., Mahomed, Y., Wesemann, S., and Brown, J.W. Topical cardiac hypothermia and phrenic injury: An experimental study. Surg Forum 1987;37:211.
- Mahomed, Y, King, R.D., Zipes, D., Miles, W., Prystowsky, E., Heger, J., and Brown, J.W. Surgical division of Wolff-Parkinson-White pathways utilizing the closed heart technique: A 2-year experience in 47 patients. Ann Thorac Surg, Jul 1988; 45:495-504.
- Brown JW, Stevesns, LS, Holly S, Rodefeld M, Grayson T, Marts B, Caldwell RA, Hurwitz RA and Girod DA: Surgical Spectrum of Aortic Stenosis in Children: A Thirty Year Experience with 257 Children. Ann Thorac Surg, Jul 1988; 45:393-403.
- DeSanto, A., Bills, R., King, H., and Brown, J.W. Pathogenesis of aneurysm formation opposite prosthetic patches used for coarctation repair: An experimental study. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, Jul 1987; 94:720-723.
- Hurwitz, R., Caldwell, R., Girod, D., Albrecht, T., King, H. and Brown J.: Arterial Reimplantation: Short-term course of patients with anomalous left coronary artery. JACC 1988;11(2):138A.
- Dedinsky, G., Pavlina, P., DeSanto, A., Bills, R., Waller, R., and Brown, J.W. Fresh and cryopreserved aortic homografts used as right ventricular pulmonary artery (RV-PA) conduits: Cardiac biological implants: calcification & degeneration of heart valve bioprotheses. 1988;18:231-246.
- Dusman, R., Miles, W.M., Mahomed, Y., Heger, J., Klein, L., Prystowsky, E., King, R.D., Brown, J.W., Adams, D., and Zipes, D. Electrophysiologic directed endocardial resection and cryoablation in the treatment of ventricular tachyarrhthmias. Indiana Medicine 1988;81(3).
- Hurwitz, R.A., Caldwell, R.L., Girod, D.A., Albrecht, T.G., King, H., and Brown, J.W. Arterial re-implantation on short and long-term course of patients with anomalous left coronary artery. JACC 1988;11:138A.
- Robison TJ, Brown JT, Caldwell R, Stone KS, King H: Management of Asymptomatic Intracardac Missiles using Echocardiography. Journal of Trauma-Injury Infection & Critical Care. 28(9):1402-3, 1988 Sep.
- Tepper, R.S., Eigen, H., Brown, J.W., and Hurwitz, R.A. Use of maximal expiratory flows to evaluate central airway obstruction in infants. Ped Pul 1989;6:272-74.
- Hurwitz, R.A., Caldwell, R.L., Girod, D.A., Brown, J.W., and King, H. Clinical and hemodynamic course of infants and children with anomalous left coronary artery. Am Heart J 1989;118(6): 1176-81.
- Wright, C., Kesler, K., Nicols, C., Mahomed, Y., Einhorn, L., Brown, J., and Miller, M. Primary mediastinal nonseminomatous germ cell tumors: Results of the multi-modality approach. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, Jul 1990; 99(2):210-217.
- Turrentine, M.W., Kesler, K.A., Wright, C.D., McEwen, K., Faught, P.R., Miller, M., Mahomed, Y., Brown, J.W., and King, H.K. The effect of omental, intercostal, and internal mammary artery pedicle wraps on bronchial healing. Ann Thorac Surg, Jul 1990; 49:574-578.
- Stone, K., Brown, J.W., Canal, D., Caldwell, R.L., and King, H. Congenital aneurysm of the left atrial wall in infancy. Case report and review of the literature. Ann Thorac Surg, Jul 1990; 49:476-478.
- Markand, O., Warren, C., Mallik, G., King, R., Brown, J., and Mahomed, Y. Effects of hypothermia on short latency somatosensory evoked potentials in humans. Electroencephalography & Clinical Neurophysiology 1990;77:416-24.
- Brown, J., Rodefeld, M., Heimansohn, D., King, H., Girod, D., Hurwitz, R., and Caldwell, R. Cor triatriatum: Clinical presentation and surgical results in 12 patients. Ann Thorac Surg, Jul 1990; 50:562-568.
- Heifetz, S., Parikh, S., and Brown, J.W. Hibernoma of the pericardium presenting as pericardial effusion in a child. J of Ped Path 1990;10:575-80.
- Kesler, K., Sharp, T., Turrentine, M., and Brown, J. Technical considerations and early results of sequential left internal mammary artery bypass grafting to the left anterior descending coronary artery system. J of Card Surg 1990;5(2):134-44.
- Parikh, S., Hurwitz, R., Hubbard, J., Brown, J., King, H., and Girod, D. Preoperative and postoperative aneurysm associated with coarctation of the aorta. JACC 1991;17:1367-72.
- Naunheim, K., Kesler, K., Fiore, A., Turrentine, M., Hammel, L., Brown, J., Mahomed, Y., and Pennington, D.G. Pericardial drainage: subxiphoid vs. transthoracic approach. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg, Jul 1991;5:99-103.
- Heimansohn, D., Kesler, K., Turrentine, M., Mahomed, Y., Means, L., Matt, B., Weisberger, E., and Brown, J.W. Anterior pericardial tracheoplasty for congenital tracheal stenosis. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, Jul 1991;102: 710-715.
- Emhardt, J., Moorthy, S., Brown, J.W., Cohen, M., and Wagner, W. Chest radiograph changes after cardiopulmonary bypass in children. J Cardiovasc Surg 1991;21:314-7.
- Kesler, K., Sharp, T., King, R., Mahomed, Y., and Brown, J. Surgical myocardial revascularization for the 1990's. Ind Med 1991:616-18.
- Chua, R.N.S., Engle, W., Brown, J., and Yoder, M. The use of bronchotomy and retrograde dilation to repair acquired obliterative bronchial obstruction. J Ped Surg 1992;27(1):98-100.
- Mahomed, Y., King, R., Zipes, D., Miles, W., Klein, L., and Brown, J. Surgery for atrioventricular node re-entry tachycardia: Results with surgical skeletonization of the atrioventricular node and discrete perinodal cryosurgery. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, Jul 1992;104:1035-44.
- Mahomed, Y., Zipes, D., King, R., Miles, W., Klein, L., and Brown, J. Surgery for Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome. Coronary Artery Disease 1992;3:175-85.
- Tolan, R., Kleiman, M., Frank, M., King, H., and Brown, J. Operative intervention in active endocarditis in children: Report of a series of cases and review. Clinical Infectious Diseases 1992;14:852-62.
- Kesler, K., Fiore, A., Naunheim, K., Sharp, T., Mahomed, Y., Zollinger, T., Sawada, S., Brown, J., Lobovits, A., and Barner, H. Anterior wall left ventricular aneurysm repair: A comparison of linear versus circular closure. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, Jul 1992;103:841-847.
- Jin, J., Kesler, K., Pavcker, C., Bills, R., Brown, J., and Rhoades, R. Cardiopulmonary bypass alters contractility of canine pulmonary vascular smooth muscle. FASEB 1992;6(4):A1243.
- Rigdon, L.B., Faust, S., Brown, J., Mahomed, Y., Kesler, K., Turrentine, M., and O’Donnell, J. Cardiac transplantation at IU Medical Center. J Ind Med 1992;9:414-18.
- Heimansohn DA, Turrentine MW, Kesler KA, King H, Brown JW. New trends in the management of congenital heart surgery. World J Surg 17: 356-362, 1993.
- Hartman, D., Gaither, J., Kesler, K., Mylett, D., Brown, J., and Mathur, P. Comparison of insufflated talc under thoracoscopic guidance with standard tetracycline and bleomycin pleurodesis for control of malignant pleural effusions. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1993;105:743-747.
- Brown, J.W., Turrentine, M.W., Kesler, K.A., Mahomed, Y., Darragh, R.K., Evans, K., Thompson, L., and Caldwell, R.L. Triple drug immunosuppression for heart transplantation in infants and children. J Heart & Lung Transplant 1993;12:S265-S274.
- Krause, P.C., Rardon, D., Miles, W., Klein, L., Mahomed, Y., King, R., Zipes, D., Turrentine, M., and Brown, J. Characteristics of CA2+ activated K+ channels isolated from the left ventricle of a patient with idiopathic long QT syndrome. Am Heart J 1993;126:1134-41.
- Kesler, K., Pruitt, A., Turrentine, M., Heimansohn, D., and Brown, J. Temporary left-sided mechanical cardiac support during acute myocarditis. J Heart & Lung Transplant 1993;13(2):268-70.
- Kesler, K., Hanosh, J., O’Donnell, J., Faust, S., Turrentine, M., Mahomed, Y., and Brown, J. Heart transplantation in patients with Marfan’s syndrome: A survey of attitudes and results. J Heart & Lung Transplant 1993;13(5): 899-04.